• Many adult nonreaders are afraid to come forward.

  • They are often ashamed.

  • They often avoid situations requiring them to read.

If you know someone who needs help with reading, writing or spelling, first speak with them (see suggestions below) and then call the Bryan Adult Learning Center at (979) 703-7740.

The Bryan Adult Learning Center will arrange for a student intake and assessment. Then the student will be placed in a reading class at the Bryan Adult Learning Center.

For students who have already graduated high school but need reading help, Brazos Valley Literacy Coalition will provide an informal reading assessment.  Then the student will be paired with a trained tutor. They will meet in a public location (such as a study room in a public library). The student must be at least 18 years old and should have access to transportation – private or public.

Please email Bobbee Pennington at:  bobbeepennington@brazosliteracycoalition.org


  1. Speak to that person in private.
  2. Speak in a gentle manner and tell the person that you have noticed that they might like help in reading.
  3. Ask the student if you are correct in your assumption.
  4. Let that person know that you care about them and want to help them.
  5. Tell the person about the Bryan Adult Learning Center.
  6. If they have a high school diploma, then refer them to the Brazos Valley Literacy Coalition. ( see contact above)